natural deodorant tips April 30 2019, 2 Comments
Once you’ve found your favourite natural deodorant (see our Switching to Natural Deodorant post), there are steps you can take to ensure that you consistently have the best experience possible. Here are some of our tips for getting the most out of your go-to natural deodorant:
- Use a gentle, natural, antibacterial soap once a week to cleanse and detoxify your underarms. A soap with ingredients such as tea tree oil and charcoal can be especially great for drawing out built-up impurities and bacteria, which will decrease the likelihood of developing odour. You can also use a washcloth with soap to gently exfoliate the area and create a fresh environment. This can increase the performance of your deodorant.
- Don’t be afraid to reapply. If going to the gym or if it’s hot outside, throw your deodorant in your bag and refresh throughout the day. (Our Fresh Deodorant makes this super easy by having a convenient spray format). Reapplying on clean skin is the most ideal. Doing a quick once-over with a natural face or baby wipe before reapplying can help refresh and prolong results.
- Make sure not to apply deodorant shortly after shaving underarms. This can lead to irritation and a potential reaction. It’s best to do any shaving in the evening and allow underarms to settle and calm overnight before applying deodorant. Our Cleanse Makeup Remover and All Purpose Salve can be helpful for soothing the area.
- If experiencing any irritation, troubleshoot by taking a look at the ingredients. One of the most common irritating ingredients in natural deodorant tends to be baking soda (our Fresh Deodorant is baking soda-free). Sensitivities and reactions can develop over time. If this happens, discontinue your current deodorant, take a break, use a replacement product with dissimilar ingredients, and see if the reaction stops. Afterwards, you can re-introduce your favourite and see if it occurs again.
- Drink lots of water and take every opportunity to sweat. Staying hydrated enables your body to efficiently transport and remove toxins, which can decrease occurrences of developing underarm odour. Dry brushing can also be a great method of increasing circulation.
These are just a few things to keep in mind when using natural deodorant. Instilling small practices along the way can be very helpful when wanting to maximize the effectiveness of your chosen natural deodorant. If you have any natural deodorant tips that you swear by, we would love to hear them!