DIY Practices For Self-Care
Taking the time to do a little something for yourself can go a long way. Self-care has been a hot topic because many people are realizing that making the effort to relax, release and recharge can affect their life positively in every way. This Valentine's Day, rather than getting fully caught up in the flurry of spending and restaurant reservations, try to also indulge in some luxurious time alone.
The key to having a truly effective self care practice is to address yourself as a whole: physically, mentally and emotionally. A seemingly superficial activity can be useful for setting aside the space to enjoy being on your own and to mindfully gain some perspective. With that said, it doesn’t mean that the practice can’t be easy or fun!
Here are two of our favorite ways to unwind, experience skin benefits, and to enjoy connecting and taking care of our bodies while encouraging mental stillness and relaxation.
The Wildcraft Pedicure
Our feet endure a lot of stress. They literally carry us through our lives and usually get little to no attention. Taking steps to relieve built up tension and exhaustion in our feet can go a long way and positively affect the rest of the body. Doing a simple, at-home pedicure will result in soft and smooth soles, and can decrease personal stress, overall. Use the following steps for the best results:
- Fill a large bowl with warm water.
- Place a filled Herbal Bath Blend sachet to steep in the water.
- Add a couple pumps of Luxe Body Oil to the water.
- Soak feet for 10-15 minutes. During this time you can listen to a podcast, journal or simply close your eyes and relax or meditate.
- Pour a quarter-sized amount of Buff Face and Body Scrub in the palm of your hand, remove one foot from the water and exfoliate the bottom and top of your foot using circular motions. Make sure to focus on the heel area. Put foot back in the water and repeat with the other foot.
- Rinse off both feet, gently pat dry and place on a towel next to the bowl.
- Using a pump of the body oil, apply and massage oil along all cuticles and let soak in for 5-10 minutes.
- Place feet back in the warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a soft wash cloth soaked in water, gently rub off excess skin and cuticles around toenails. Make sure to use pressure that you’re comfortable with.
- Do one last rinse. Pat dry and apply a generous amount of the Illuminate Body Cream or Luxe Body Oil. Massage in well, focus on the cuticles and apply gentle pressure to areas of tension.
- Using a dry cloth, wipe residue from the body cream off the surface of your toenails before applying your favourite nail lacquer.
Hydrating Facial Steam
Our Herbal Bath Blend is full of herbs that have calming, soothing, hydrating and anti-inflammatory benefits. It’s concentrated and multi-purpose, and, in smaller amounts, can be used as a gentle facial steam. Chamomile, rose and lavender flowers create an invigorating and healing vapour while patchouli essential oil discourages irritation and increases the skin’s ability to stay hydrated. To create a facial steam, use the following steps:
Fill a large, heat-safe bowl with boiling water and add a teaspoon of the Herbal Bath Blend. Stir in and allow to steep for three minutes. Place the bowl on a stable surface where you can comfortably lean over with your head approximately 8 inches above the water. Place a towel over your head and the bowl to contain the steam, close your eyes, relax and inhale for 5 - 10 minutes. If the steam feels too hot, allow it to cool for a bit longer before placing your face above the water. If you experience any discomfort from the steam or aroma, discontinue the experience.
Following the steam, gently pat and wipe skin with a lukewarm cloth, mist with Geranium Orange Blossom or Bergamot Rose Toner, followed by the Regenerating Face Serum. Recline with a good book and enjoy the relaxing and refreshing post-steam effects.
There are many DIY at-home practices that can be instilled as a regular method of self care and self love. They don’t have to be complicated or expensive, and can reap many benefits in your life, as a whole. The above are just two examples. Get creative and enjoy the products you already have in inspiring and balancing ways. If you have any ideas for easy self care practices using Wildcraft products, we would love to hear them!